Precision Liquid-Applied Sound Deadening System
Multiple-Orifice Linear Streaming Applicators (MOLSA)
These are liquid-applied sound deadening application systems for vehicles and industrial products.
- Linear streaming applicator
- Available in widths of 2”, 3”, and 4” (50, 75, 100 mm)
- Orifice sizes available: 0.025”, 0.029”, 0.035”, 0.041” (0.64, 0.74, 0.89, 1.04 mm)
- Deposits films of liquid-applied sound deadener in widths of 2 inches to 8 inches (50 to 200 mm)
- Deposits films of liquid-applied sound deadener in film thickness from 1.5 mm to 4 mm (0.060” to 0.160”)
- Allows manufacturers to apply wider and thicker films of material at a faster rate than previous technology
- Accomplishes the above with little to no over spray
- Reduces costs over mastic pads
- Provides the highest level of durability available in the market
- Is easier to clean and maintain than competitive wide-stream applicators
MOLSA vs. Other Applicators
- Builds films which are higher on the edge than in the middle
- Limited to 2mm film build
- Higher overall cost
- Lower durability
- Slower application
Flat Stream/Ribbon Coater:
- Lower application velocity can affect adhesion to oily metal
- Limited to 2mm film build
- Films are higher on edges than in center
- Width limitations
- Over spray
- Bounce back
- Inconsistent film thickness
- Tip wear
- Bulk feed pumps
- Booster pump (if necessary)
- In-Line strainer or filter
- Electronic Metering system equipped with cartridge regulator and coriolus flow meter
- Dispense valves
- MOLSA head(s)
- Cleaning station
- Film Thickness: 0.060” (1.5mm) – 0.160” (4mm)
- Application Speeds: 200 – 1,000 mm/sec
- Pattern Widths: 2” – 8” (50-200 mm) Single Pass
- Flow Rates:1,400 cc/min (0.37 gpm) to 19,500 cc/min (5.15 gpm)
- Standoff Distance:” – 4” typical; up to 6” max
- Position: MOLSA normal to surface, +/- 15o
- Cleaning: After each job, wipe & submerge MOLSA in 1/8” H20
Questions to Get Started
Replacing Melt Pads
- Consider more than the cost of the pad itself
- What is the labor required?
- Cost of labor in US is estimated at $75,000 per person
- What is transportation cost of pads?
- Inventory cost associated with pads?
- Floor space cost of pads
- What is the desired film thickness for the application?
- Customer must supply this information in order to start the process
- Affects applicator orifice size
- Ex: applicators with 0.025” orifice can deposit film thickness up to 3 mm
Robot Speed and Orientation
- What is the maximum robot speed used in the application?
- Typically 300 mm/sec to 600 mm/sec inside of a vehicle
- For applications which are outside of a vehicle, speeds of 1000 mm/sec are possible
- How will the robot apply the material?
- Will material be applied straight downward, or sideways, or upward?
- Need to operate within the process window for all application directions
Single or Dual Applicators
- What is pattern width needed?
- Does pattern need to be interrupted for through-holes?
- What is the application cycle time?
- Each applicator requires a separate electronic fluid metering plate and dispensing valve
- P-Flo XL can control two valves
- P-Flo LT can control only one
Estimated Cycle Times
- Application: total path length / avg. robot speed
- Other considerations
- 2 seconds to wipe applicator after soaking
- 2 seconds to get from home position to first point of application
- 1 second for each reorientation of the head(s)
- 2 seconds to return to home position from final application point
- 3 seconds to clean the applicator between jobs